Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm now a Postpartum Doula!

WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Ahem* Ok, just had to get that out.

Here's the thing: In order to become DONA and NAPS certified, I need to help 3 families for 8 hours + in their immediate postpartum time (first 3 weeks). Two out of the three families need to be breastfeeding so that I can get experience helping with latch/supply, etc.

If you are pregnant and would like some extra help after your baby is born, I am available for FREE to three families (at least two must be breastfed, please) for 8 hours. After the initial 8 hours, I will charge only $10 an hour until I get certified (or plenty of experience, which ever comes first. I will be sure to let you know before the rate increases). The going rate for postpartum doulas in our area is $25 to $35 an hour. I am available for 4 hours at a time shifts during the daytime.

What exactly would I be doing as a Postpartum Doula?

A doula has been described as a "mother to the mother". My main goal is to encourage and support the new mom (dad, too!). The time after birth is an emotionally charged, often difficult time and sometimes a listening ear can make all of the difference! I have been trained and have a lot of experience in infant care* and can provide information and help in that aspect also. I can also do light housework including bed making, animal care, FOOD PREP (!), tidying, etc. If you weren't able to clean your bathtub while 9 months pregnant, I will do that for you, too! :-) Every new mom needs to have (clean) bath relaxation time. Oh! I have been trained and have experience with the postpartum body and how to care for mama!




If you're pregnant and interested and live in the Snohomish county area, please let me know. We will then arrange for a prenatal meeting to cover the specifics. You can either email me at Lukihethir@hotmail.com or on Facebook and I will give you my phone number.




* Infant care includes bathing, diapering, breastfeeding, formula feeding, babywearing, dressing, soothing, etc, etc with a flair for natural/attachment type parenting :-)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, my dear! I wish I could you up here for just a little while. I'm sure you will have plenty of experience before you know it!

    ReplyDelete