Sunday, January 2, 2011

How I FINALLY cleared up my acne!

I've used EVERY over the counter acne medication as well as two different Rx ones. My skin was always left dry, icky, pealing, red and I've bleached my fair share of bed sheets using preparations that contain Benzyl Peroxide (I hope I'm spelling that right). When I was very pregnant with Jericho I got lazy and started using only witch hazel to wash my face with. Nothing got worse, nothing go better and I liked knowing that I wasn't putting a bunch of chemicals on my face. After Jericho was born, I took laziness up a notch. I did absolutely nothing for my face. No washing, no cream, no worries. I did not care. Guess what? Nothing got worse, nothing got better. I went on this way on and off up until a month ago.

One night I was about to go to bed with makeup on. I thought better of it and decided was do a quick rinse of my face in raw apple cider vinegar. I just wet down some TP and took my makeup off. My skin felt dry, for some reason, so I decided to put virgin coconut oil on my face as a moisturizer and went to bed. The next morning my skin was GLOWING. I kept at it for a week when I noticed that my lovely pimples were dissapearing and my skin looked soooo vibrant. Pretty soon, out of laziness I gave up the apple cider vinegar and just started smearing the coconut oil on my face. Works like a charm. I couldn't be more thrilled!

Coconut oil is my cure all. Health wise, beauty wise and diet wise. We had to give up butter and coconut oil is my stand by. I will have to do a post dedicated to the wonders of C.O. because it's for real.

It may seem weird that oil can heal an oily face. It turns out that C.O. is antibacterial and nourishing. Acne is caused by bacteria and is exasperated by dry skin. Besides killing the bacteria on our faces, the oil nourishes, moisturizes and protects our skin. That's why my skin looks so glowy in the AM!

Two recommendations: use living, virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil and only do this routine before bed. Your face will feel quite oily for sometime and you're not going to care if you're sleeping! I've made the mistake of trying before putting on my makeup and... BAD idea!

I buy C.O. in bulk from Nutiva. A tiny jar (12 oz?) at the store costs around $24 but I buy an entire gallon (128 oz) of it for $55. That's maybe 5 times the oil for only 2 times the price. Here's the link: https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-oil/

6 comments:

  1. Hethir-
    Good blog. I'm always looking for acne help :).

    Like you, I've done prescription everything from Acutane to RetinA to antibiotics with benzol peroxide and everything over the counter from the grocery store to Nordstrom to Mary Kay. With towels and pillow cases that are frightening from chemical treatments and insurance that won't pay the incredible expense, I've tried finding some natural cures, too.

    I like honey mixed with baking soda for a good mask or wash. The baking soda is a bit harsh but sometimes I'm desperate to just strip off the flakes and dried ugly spots. For the infections, I will put kosher salt and a little honey (to make it stick) on as a spot treatment. Been working pretty well but now I'm excited to try the coconut oil. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad you found out how wonderful coconut oil is for your face! I've been using it for i think 3 months now and i will never again spend all that money on the stuff I did before cuz i've been fighting acne for 19 yrs now and this is the only thing that has worked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridgette, great info! THANKS! Bree, yay!!! I'm glad someone else is finding it as awesome as me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason it cleared your acne is because it wasn't acne. It was Candida which can lead to folliculitis pityrosporum. I've been battling it for 10 years. Mix your regiment with Ketoconazole soap or lotion (Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo or can be purchased in many forms for pets;lotions,shampoos,sprays, etc.). After spending hundreds it took me years to figure out why my "acne" wasn't improving.


    P.S. Benzoyl Perixide

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps Benzoyl Peroxide actually can make conditions worse by heightening an imbalance between the yeast/fungus and bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apple cider vinegar was the only thing to get rid of my cystic acne. I've also discovered that red meat causes me to break out. I did an experiment in my early 20's. I stopped eating all red meat for several months, then went out to Applebees and ate a steak. I had the largest, most painful and simply disgusting cyst on my chest the next day and for many days. The apple cider vinegar shrank that bad down. Anytime I have red meat I break out. I splash apple cider vinegar on every few days, and tonight I tried coconut oil for the first time. * I must say that grass fed meats and organic meats have less of an acne producing effect. c.a.p.

    ReplyDelete