Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mysterious Pregnancy Purple Toilet



I first noticed it when I was around 5 or 6 months pregnant with Jericho. My toilet seat had a strange purple hue in the shape of my batootie! It was so random and so bizarre that I posted about it on a forum I was apart of. Turns out I wasn't the only one with a purple butt-print on my toilet!

If you google "Purple butt-print toilet seat" you will certainly see that I'm not the only one. Some woman say pregnancy has turned their toilet blue or pink. And plastic toilet seats don't seem to take on the hue. Porcelain only. Most women say that the only way to finally get rid of the butt print was to buy a new toilet seat after pregnancy. Thank goodness we didn't have to do that!

But what causes it? The most widely spread theory is the differing pH balance in a pregnant woman's body reacting with the porcelain. I've also heard that it could be the iron in prenatal vitamins seeping through the woman's pores. But I have my own theory.

What's the most horrifying thought for many women during pregnancy? Is it childbirth? Water breaking in public? Maybe. In my case it was STRETCH MARKS. I slathered lotion obsessively on every inch of my body when I was pregnant. Yes, this included my butt. Also during pregnancy, a woman's body shape changes rapidly and she may find herself buying larger maternity jeans a few times before she pops. I think that my lotion-y butt took on the dye from my new jeans and then deposited that dye on my toilet. Yep, my hiney was basically a giant rubber stamp.

In case you're wondering, I haven't yet had the tell-tale marks on my toilet yet this pregnancy. If it happens this time I'm going to try to pinpoint exactly when it happens to see if it correlates with my moving into new jeans thus proving my theory :-)

5 comments:

  1. if i have turned two toilet seats a bluish purple, should i take a pregnancy test?!? i've been on a new birth control for a month and a week, could that be it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a 90 year old man (NOT PREGNANT) My toilet seat has the purpling shading. My First Alert plastic pendant I wear on my wrist is also turning purple. My 92 year old wife (ALSO NOT PREGNANT) wears the same type plastic pendant. NO PURPLING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the water turning a bluish color? That's what I'm having trouble with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a man, and also have the pink/purple mark on my toilet seat. I'm type 1 diabetic, 35 years, and thought maybe a factor in common with gestational diabetes might be a cause. Otherwise, yes, I recently purchased a pair of strongly dyed jeans. Burnt orange in color, however, and the toilet seat is most distinctly pink.

    ReplyDelete