Thursday, April 7, 2011

An Ideal Pregnancy Diet

18 Weeks, yo!!!

Let me just start out by blurting out a big ole "ha!" I had the best of intentions when I was first pregnant. I was going to follow the Weston A. Price's recommended Pregnancy Diet. I was going to give up sugar and start eating liver. Little did I realize my liver escapade would trigger the beginning of morning sickness. Blech! Nothing sounded good to me except sugar. Insane amounts of sugar. Twice during this Girl Scout Cookie Season I binged on an entire box of Samoas. In one sitting. Let's all say it together: "HA!" (one thing you can do to slow the absorbtion of sugar is to take a table spoon of chia seeds and let them sit in a bit of water until gooey. Drink. Yummmmm)

Now that I'm well into my 2nd trimester, I'm beginning to add the good stuff back in (not take anything out, mind you). I have energy and will power. Well, somewhat. I've just ignored the whole sugar addiction thing but am slowly adding in nutritious supplements and whole foods. Here's where I'm at, so far:

Kombucha: I've actually started keeping up on my brew. Instead of putting my K-Tea in a giant pitcher and keeping it in the back of my fridge, I've started keeping it in the little bottles that I've kept from the store bought 'booch. This helps tremendously. I don't know why. It's all psychological, I'm sure. Kombucha is essential to me for dozens of reasons. It gives me a better energy boost than any espresso ever did. It's packed full of B Vitamins, essential to mood and *energy*. It detoxifies and has natural probiotics in it. And it's fizzy goodness is addicting!

Homemade chicken stock: An old fashioned immune and mood booster! I try to cook up a whole chicken every week. When we've eaten the last bit of chicken off the carcass, I throw the carcass into my crock pot, fill with cold water and 2 tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar and let it sit for an hour. The cold water and ACV help to extract the nutrients, namely calcium, out of the bones. Then I toss in a little of this and a little of that. My basic recipe includes an onion, 3 carrots, some celery, lots of garlic and some fresh ginger. Nutrient city!! In the last 1/2 hour, I like to add a bunch of parsley for more minerals. I've been wanting to try freezing my broth in jars because plastic freaks me out but that's a project for a later time. I put 2 cups into quart sized freezer bags and try to drink a cup a day with a tablespoon or more of raw coconut oil (more below).

Coconut oil: All natural energy boost, healthy source of fats essential to fetal brain growth (and great for breastmilk, too!) and an antimicrobrial. I've came to the conclusion that Jericho and I are yeast inhibitors. I will try to remember to touch on this more at a later date but for now, it's just too much for me to even think about. An anti-yeast diet is likely in our future. For now I'm making sure we get enough C.O. and have been taking small amounts of Oil of Oregano (my immune miracle herb!) to help combat the yeasties.

Fermented Cod Liver Oil: Perfect. Whole. Food. Essential for basically everything. Great source of fat. Also a natural source of Vitamin D and Vitamin A.

Spirulina: A great way to get greens in ya! I'm not too familiar with all of the benefits of spirulina (or chlorella, another algae) but I've read tons of stuff about it. I just can't remember. Ha!

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea: Delicious uterine toner. Most people think this is only beneficial (or allowed) during late pregnancy. Actually, RLT is great for any women of childbearing age. During periods of menstrual cramping, RLT can help relax the uterus. In early pregnancy, RLT will "tighten up a too relaxed uterus" thus preventing miscarriage in some instances. And we all know of it's use in later pregnancy as a uterine toner! I'm just now finding out tons of amazing things about this tea. Did you know it contains calcium? And calcium in it's most absorbable form! It also contains vitamins A, B and C. Very cool

For more info about herbs during pregnancy, check this out: http://www.herbalgardens.com/articles/herbs-for-pregnancy.html

Raw Milk: Oh, another perfect, whole food. And the only way my digestive system can handle dairy. I find that I have much less insomnia when I get adequate calcium in the evening. Check out http://realmilk.com/ for more info.

EGGS!: My beloved! We purchased chicks this spring and are look forward to fresh, organic, free range eggs come mid-summer. For now, I try to buy eggs from a local farm at a natural food co-op. Raw is the most health beneficial way to eat eggs but until I'm getting my own eggs I like to eat my eggs fried with a runny yolk. I've heard of people adding raw eggs to smoothies for unbelievable creaminess and also the nutrition benefit. I try to eat 2-3 eggs a day.

My next endeavors are to start eating mostly sprouted, fermented or soaked grain products (sourdough, sprouted wheat bread, soak beans and other grains, etc). I'm also going to purchase Nettle Leaf Tea (read more about it on the website posted above) from www.mountainroseherbs.com (you can buy the raspberry leaf tea there, for around $8 a pound!). I'm supposed to be getting more kefir grains from a friend soon so I'll start drinking kefir smoothies again soon. Once our chickens are laying I want to start making homemade mayonaisse since out "dairy free" family eats a lot of the stuff. Oh, yeah. I'm supposed to be dairy free. Another big "HA!!"

2 comments:

  1. Your diet sounds wonderful, even for women who aren't pregnant! I never understood why so many young pregnant women eat so terribly, using the whole "well, I'm pregnant" thing as a reason to be so unhealthy. I see it all the time. I love how sensible you are about your diet, and the idea of chickens is awesome! I wish we were zoned for them. =( Needless to say, I've bookmarked this page and I'll be coming back to it when I'm finally expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your website and read your PPD article from last year. Thank you for sharing your story so honestly. I have 4 children, the youngest is 4 months and he was colicky, jaundice, problems nursing, you name it. As soon as I noticed something was wrong with me I reached out to my family and friends for lots of support and tons of prayer. Once Coldon turned 3 months the colic subsided and I started to feel normal again. Thankful now for the valley, but glad be be on top of the mountain.

    http://gardenofeden-craftsfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete